Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Tightwad Tuesday: Patriotic Bunting from Men's Shirts



Well, hello! So, we are knee-deep in party prep over here. The driveway had about 8 yards of mulch dumped on it over the weekend, I've got party supplies spread out so I can take inventory, and I'm making lists, lists, lists. One of the things I have really wanted to add in years past for our July Fourth bash is some more festivity to the deck. I finally had a brainstorm, and was able to do it this year for...drumroll please...less than 6 bucks! So here's the skinny: I had some leftover men's shirts from this project, and of course, they were mostly blue and white. I also had some rope leftover from this project. So all I had to buy was 2 yards of red fabric (which I got on sale for about $2.50/yard at Jo-Anns) and I was in business!

Patriotic Bunting
Nap Rating = well, it depends on how many feet you need. I made about 12 feet of bunting and it took me about 3 hours.

Tools & Materials
  • Scraps of fabric in red, white and blue...lots
  • Scissors
  • Rope
  • Measuring tape

Steps
  1. Measure the space you want to festoon with bunting and add a couple of inches to each end for tying it off.
  2. Cut the rope to this length.
  3. Start cutting strips of fabric. There is no rhyme or reason to this. I didn't measure the strips, and I certainly didn't care if they were the same length...in fact, different lengths looks better, I think. Cut, and cut, and cut. Think you have enough? Cut some more.
  4. Knot each end of the rope, then start tying on the fabric. I just knotted them once so they could slide easier. Easy-peasy. Just make sure to alternate colors and patterns about equally so you don't wind up with a whole bunch of reds in one spot, etc.
  5. Tie, and tie, and tie.

That's it! This was a tad bit tedious, but not too bad. I had my girls help me, too, which was nice. We watched Annie while we worked.

So you may be interested in some other patriotic ideas if you're reading this one. I'd like to take the time to point out a new website called Raise.com, which is a platform for buying and selling gift cards. Raise is featuring some great July Fourth recipes on their blog this week, so if you're hosting a party like we are, you might want to purchase a gift card (free shipping!) for less than its actual value before you head out to the store. Party supplies can add up, so Raise.com is proud to offer people savings before they even set foot in a store. For other ideas, check out these posts:

Follow Home Made Modern's board July 4th Party & Decorating Ideas on Pinterest.
My Favorite Patriotic Pins


Patriotic Cupboard Door Hanging


6 Elements for a Big July Fourth Bash


4 comments:

  1. Great bunting! Love the combinations of fabrics. I'd be thrilled if you'd link up at this week's Off the Hook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Crafts - you were featured today!! - - Mandy, SugarBeeCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments...and I read each and every one! Since you've taken the time to visit my blog, I'll take the time to respond. Thanks! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...