Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Kitchen Progress: For the Love of Open Shelving

Hey there, how are ya? So remember that wall we partially took down? And how I wanted banquette seating soooooo bad? Well...I still love and adore this idea, and wish we could incorporate everything, but extra storage has won out. So here's the skinny:

I last told you that we'd removed the drywall on one wall of our kitchen, exposing the studs and opening things up a bit. But we had to get an electrician in to move the thermostat, etc. Now that's done, and my husband has knocked out the studs. So here's the view right now.

Even more open! And we get more light now in the late afternoon. But we've decided to go whole-hog and just knock out the remainder of that wall. So in other words, this one:

That's gonna require swapping out our stove for one without a backsplash, but I think we can accomplish that fairly easily via Craigslist. And we'll just sell the microwave along with our old stove because I've never liked how much real estate it takes up. The ulimate goal is to have a floorplan similar to this one:

Think we can pull it off before Thanksgiving? Haha!

So what I'm drooling over right now is open shelving. We're going to eliminate some cupboards in favor of this idea, and I'm so excited about it, it helps makes up for the fact that we're not building a banquette. Here are some of the images that inspired me:


source unknown



via Addicted2Decorating



Better Homes and Gardens



Better Homes and Gardens



Better Homes and Gardens



Better Homes and Gardens



Better Homes and Gardens

4 comments:

  1. Awesome. You amaze me! The best part is that I know your kitchen will look as good if not better when completed! LOVELY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH how I envy you. To have shelves on top instead of cupboards, it opens things up so much more, has such a clean look.
    Can't do it at our house as we have gravel/dirt driveway that's shared by us and back neighbor. I could dust and clean every 10 mins. but it would still be dusty and dirty.
    I'd be taking off the upper cupboard doors at least but just not an option. If you can do it I'm happy for you.
    Your gas stove looks just like ours. Oh how I'd
    love to be able to knock out some walls. Don't know if that's possible in a mfg. home. If so I'd knock out wall between kitchen and mudroom and make it one big room then maybe we'd have some kind of eating area. We have none at this point. It's either eat from a tray in l/r or stand at portable island in kitchen to eat. Since it was just the two of us when we bought this place we decided we'd be able to handle it. Think that option has worn off for me after 6 1/2 yrs.
    Will be looking forward to seeing how your home turns out. Bet it'll be great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't know where to begin with a project like this.
    I am so afraid to do projects like this because a) my hubs is not so handy and b) I am frightened of big home improvement projects.
    I love the idea of open shelving and can't wait to see the progress you make!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im totally freaked out, Kari, don't let me fool ya!

      Delete

I love reading your comments...and I read each and every one! Since you've taken the time to visit my blog, I'll take the time to respond. Thanks! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...