Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Recipe of the Week: Melted Candy Cane Cookies



Hey! How are you coming along with your Christmas to-do lists? I scored some deals on Cyber Monday, and got a couple more kinds of cookies baked today. Isn't it crazy how much we can cram into each day? It's a good thing January is a pretty lazy month around here, because I'm gonna need the full 31 days to recuperate.

These cookies were a happy accident. I set out to find candy cane-flavored M&Ms, but the two stores I checked didn't carry them. (I'm beginning to think they're a Pinterest myth.) But I did find candy cane Hershey's Kisses, so I decided to give them a whirl instead. I decided to cheat and use a sugar cookie mix I had on hand, and planned on nestling the Kiss in the center, similar to our family favorites, peanut butter blossoms. Well, I don't know if the white chocolate just melts faster or what, but I placed the Kiss in the center of each cookie immediately out of the oven, and when I transferred them to the cooling rack, I noticed that the Kiss kinda collapsed. So I waited for the heat to completely soften the candy, then gently tapped the tips down even more with the back of a spoon so it made just pretty, flat swirls of peppermint flavor right in the cookies' centers. They look, and taste, like melted candy canes...thus the name.

Melted Candy Cane Cookies

1 package sugar cookie mix (I used Betty Crocker), plus ingredients required by mix (mine called for a stick of butter and an egg)
1 c. white chocolate chips
1 package candy cane-flavored Hershey Kisses

Follow package instructions to stir up the batter.
Stir in the white chocolate chips.
Bake according to package instructions.
Immediately upon removing from oven, when cookies are still on the sheet, place a Kiss in the center of each and press down slightly. Use a spatula to transfer to a cooling rack. Wait a minute or two, then use the back of a spoon to lightly flatten the Kisses.

These are new for us this year. They're quite delicious and look really festive, too. They'd be great packaged with a mug and some hot chocolate mix, don't ya think?

6 comments:

  1. These look so yummy! And the fact that they are easy to make is a huge bonus. They are definitely on the list this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Val, These cookies look great. I love that the stripes of the kisses stayed there too. So yummy.

    If you don't mind, I'd love if you would stop by and share these and any other dessert creations on Sugar & Slice Sunday weekly link party.

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally festive! And I bet they're delicious as well. :-) Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMM - these look delish and I have all the "ingredients" to try this!

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a cookie baking party last week, and the same thing happened with our peppermint kiss cookies! Good thinking pushing them down more! Yours turned out much prettier than ours : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious. I am visiting you via Somewhat Simple. I look forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas. Happy Holidays. Anu

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments...and I read each and every one! Since you've taken the time to visit my blog, I'll take the time to respond. Thanks! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...