Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Christmas Cookie Jar: Gingerbread Men (From the Vault)



Hey everyone! I must admit, I'm pulling this one from the vault of HMM posts. This one is from December 2010, which means nobody read it. Lol! Seriously, I've been blogging for awhile now, and have only recently (in the past 6 months or so) gotten serious about it. Back then, I was really only blogging as an outlet for myself, but now I can see the potential it holds for my family and me. Anyway, I figured I'd pull this one out because it really is a great gingerbread recipe. The dough is so forgiving and easy to roll out, and the taste is classic, slightly spicy, and delish!

Gingerbread Cookies

3 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 T. ginger
1 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
6 T. unsalted butter (I've used salted, and just omitted the 1/4 tsp. of salt mentioned above)
3/4 c. dark brown sugar (I used light once and didn't notice a difference)
1 egg
1/2 c. molasses
2 tsp. vanilla

Whisk dry ingredients and spices in small bowl.
In stand mixer, cream butter, brown sugar and egg on medium speed. (I'm sure you could use a hand mixer here, too.)
Add molasses and vanilla; blend.
Gradually add in dry ingredients.

Divide dough in half and wrap in plastic. Let stand at room temperature for 2-8 hours. Or, you can refrigerate the dough for up to 4 days, but let it come up to room temperature before using.
Roll out onto a well-floured surface with floured pin to about 1/4 inch thickness.
Bake on parchment lined sheets at 350 for 7-10 minutes.

For icing, I just mixed about 1 1/2 c. of powdered sugar with splashes of water until it was the right consistency. I cut a TINY snip from a corner of a freezer bag, spooned in the icing, and used this as a makeshift pastry bag. You'll want the icing to flow freely without too much squeezing, but not so runny that it doesn't hold its shape when dotted onto your cookies.

These have become a tradition in our house...I hope you try and like them as much as we do!

11 comments:

  1. Yum! These look so good and they are very cute! Thanks for sharing :) Have a lovely day.

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Val For some reason I don't think I've ever made gingerbread men, (not that I can recall anyway). They look so good and chewy so I just had to print out the recipe. Thought I'd try to make these this year for something different. Don't need lots of expensive ingredients which is a big positive. So glad you shared this recipe for an old gal to try.
    Really enjoy your blog. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Only a week away can you believe it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No and I really can't believe that Christmas is right around the corner, either! Hope you try and like the cookies. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Hi Neighbor : )
    You can't beat gingerbread for infusing the house with holiday aroma! And I love what you did with your closet-to-mudroom project. I've been wanting to do something like that for a long time - you may be in danger of inspiring me, yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! You'll have to pop over to see it in person. And we love your new siding!!

      Delete
  4. I love gingerbread and never make it as much as I should. Maybe I will for the holidays this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh yum! I love the smell of gingerbread wafting around the house. :-)

    Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I've been searching for a good gingerbread man recipe! Going shopping for the ingredients NOW:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Val! I found your blog from Organize and Decorate Everything's link party. These gingerbread men look smack-tacular! A perfect cookie for the holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect! I was looking for a homemade gingerbread recipe so I've pinned yours. Please come share at my link party!

    http://www.shecookscraftsruns.net/2012/11/show-me-what-youve-made-up-link-party-5.html

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments...and I read each and every one! Since you've taken the time to visit my blog, I'll take the time to respond. Thanks! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...